I have been reading a bit about the power of coconut water for quite a while lately, but at $2.99 for one 17 oz bottle, I couldn’t bring myself to buy it. But I absolutely love coconut and so does Dan (Our wedding cake was coconut)! So he convinced me a few weeks ago to grab us each a bottle to try it out.
I had no idea what it was going to taste like, Dan guessed it would taste like normal water, I prayed that for the $6 I just spent on them that it would taste more like a tropical drink than what comes out of our Dasani bottles.
And it did, if you’re curious about coconut water let me try to properly describe the taste.
The Coconut Water Taste Test
First off, real, raw coconut doesn’t taste anything like the sweetened stuff that comes in bags that we get for baking. It is much more “nuttier” in flavor and that is what the water is like. It taste a lot like almonds actually. Which I love, Dan couldn’t get used to the flavor though.
What is coconut water? It’s the liquid found inside unripe coconuts. If you wait for it to ripen, the water will become hard and turn into the white flesh that we all love to eat.
But with all the benefits, if you’re questioning the flavor and are a bit curious, I definitely recommend giving it a try. I am not feeling well today and I know that staying hydrated is really important to help keep what ever this bug is from hitting me full on, so I grabbed a bottle.
The Benefits of Coconut Water:
- A natural sports drinks. It is loaded with electrolytes… in fact, it has more potassium than you find in 2 bananas. And it has more electrolytes than in leading sports drinks (Gatorade).
- The electrolytes also help to fight hang overs if you partied a bit hard last night, the potassium in coconut water may just help your head feel better.
- It’s 100% natural (though being “all-natural” isn’t really something that wins me over, since lots of natural things in the world are bad for us).
- Good for kidney health
- Helps to raise your metabolism
- Helps improve your immune system
I will give this piece of advice, if you’re not a fan of drinking it straight out of the carton, then use it to make your next protein shake. I loved it like this!