I have a Friday tradition that I have been doing for almost 2 years.
Each Friday, I stop by my favorite coffee shop between boot camps and order the same thing:
An almond milk latte and a giant fruit plate.
Single Smile Cafe (in Summerville for my local readers) is a charming shop and I love that they know exactly what I want and how I want it.
And I have to say, they have the best lattes and freshest fruit! I don’t just mean in the area, I mean out of every where (because yes, I have tried every coffee shop).
Seriously, if you’re ever here let me know and I’ll take you to my little secret coffee shop!
Let’s talk fruit.
I eat a lot of it! Just check out my Instagram feed and you’ll see a #fruityfriday picture like the one above every single week. The rest of the days, I enjoy either an apple or a pile of fresh berries to satisfy my sweet cravings.
With berries in season right now, they are absolutely incredible! Nothing compares to a fresh off the plant strawberry from the market. So much more flavorful than store bought. I’m addicted.
Because of my open fruit addiction, I thought it would be fun to start a “Fruity Friday” post, sharing some fun information on my favorite food.
To kick off the fruity fun, let’s start with berries since they’re “fresh” on my mind (see how I did that?).
Berry Fun Facts
- 8 strawberries contain more Vitamin C than a medium sized orange!
- Berries are rich in nitrates which helps increase blood flow and oxygen to your muscles! Of course this could help muscle recovery post exercise!
- Strawberry juice mixed with honey can reduce pain and inflammation when rubbed on sunburn. Forget the aloe!
- Strawberries are the only fruit in the world with seeds on the outside.
- Berries have the highest antioxidant levels of all fruits!
- Tannins in dark berries can help oral hygiene.
- Eating 2 – 2.5 cups of blueberries can help improve memory and cognitive function!
Here are a few amazing berry recipes that are worth giving a go!
What’s your favorite berry?
If you have a great recipe, please share!
Personally, I LOVE fresh strawberries but right up there would be blackberries. As a kid, we would pick raspberries all day and then make fresh cobbler with them. So good.