Happy birthday America!
I hope you are out celebrating this great day with friends and family. This is a great excuse to head to the beach, chill out poolside or just have people over to hang out while enjoying good company and good food!
I was listening to the radio yesterday, and I will go ahead and apologize for this not being fitness related) and they were giving out 4th of July Fun Facts… Like
- Did you know that the first Independence day wasn’t celebrated on the 4th? But on July 8, 1776 during the reading of the Declaration of Independence?
- Fireworks came to be a 4th of July tradition July 4, 1777?
- It’s estimated that more than 74 MILLION people will bbq today (including me)!
- The 4th wasn’t declared a national holiday until 1941!
- The first official 4th of July party was held at the White House 1801…
Ok here’s one for health:
Over an estimated 150 million hot dogs will be consumed today. That’s around 1 dog for every two people in the U.S… and that’s just plan nasty. If you’re going to eat a hot dog (which is filled with carcinogen preservatives) go for the turkey dogs. They taste great, low in calories, fat and sugar and taste as great as all the other dogs out there. If you refuse the turkey dogs, the next best choice is the all-beef.
What’s my favorite grill out foods? We will be having either: Turkey burgers or grilled chicken… homemade brocolli salad (I have a great recipe) and quinoa salad!