Happy Saint Patrick’s Day! Are you sporting something green?
Being that Dan is Irish and all (at least his last name says he is), we always do a little something for St Patty’s.
Normally, that something includes grabbing a Guiness and eating some Irish-inspired meal. Last year, it was stuffed cabbage, this year… I am still trying to decide.
But one thing we will be having for sure is this:
Oh yea… Leprechaun Layered Parfait! Link mint chocolate chip ice cream, but even better.
Shamrock Shuffle 5K Fun
We had a blast! The weather was perfect, and the athletes were in high spirits (as always). I was partnered up with Melissa (Ashton’s sister). Melissa and I get along really well together so I was excited to run beside her for the 5K.
Ashton, James, Me, Melissa
Being able to hang out and see the SO athletes in action makes me so excited for next weekend’s Color Me Rad Wedding Dress Event, and of course makes me pray that I’ll hit the $1,000 goal. These young men and women are such an inspiration.
Thanks for the great time Melissa!
Because I am in the middle of training for a few runs, I woke up way too early to knock off 5 miles before the race started. So all together, I logged in 8-miles. Not bad at all, especially with the great company I had for the last 3.
Okay, now to the Leprechaun Parfait!
This is so good, that I made it last night for a boot camp potluck and I am making it again for today. I don’t think I’ve ever done back to back desserts… but it’s addicting and perhaps it will lure some leprechaun in to my house with his pot of gold?
Vegan Chocolate Chip Peppermint “Leprechaun” Parfait
This includes 2 easy steps:
1. Making the cookies, and
2. Making the peppermint mouse filling.
Both steps are so easy, even a leprechaun could do them… I crack myself up.
Ingredients For Cookies:
1 Cup Almond Meal
1/4 Cup Coconut Flour (or 1/2 Cup Almond Meal)
1/4 Tsp Baking Soda
1/2 Tsp Cinnamon
1 Tsp Vanilla
3 Tbsp Honey
1/4 Cup All Natural Peanut Butter (or Almond Butter)
3 Tbsp Water
1/3 Cup Dried Cranberries (optional)
Directions For Cookies:
1. Pre-heat oven to 350-Degrees.
2. Mix everything (except the cranberries). Once the cookie batter is mixed well, fold in the cranberries.
3. Scoop 1-2 tablespoon cookies onto a baking sheet. This makes 6-cookies.
4. Bake for 10-11 minutes, until slightly golden brown.
Ingredients For Mouse/Icing:
1 Can Full Fat Coconut Milk
1/4 Tsp Vanilla
1 Cup Powdered Sugar*
1/8 Tsp Peppermint Extract (or more if desired)
Green food coloring
Vegan, chocolate chips
1. Do not shake milk. Open the top and remove just the think cream (the coconut water will be below it). If your house is warm, you might want to stick the can in the fridge for about 30 minutes before hand).
2. In a mixing bowl add all ingredients, except the food coloring and chocolate chips) and mix together. I just blended with my hand but you can you an electric mixer as well.
3. Mix in 1-2 drops of green coloring until the desired “green” is achieved.
4. As it warms up, it will become softer. Allow it to chill for about 30 minutes before serving.
Putting It All Together:
1. In small individual bowls (or one big one), crumble up the cookies on the bottom.
2. Add a layer of the coconut peppermint mouse, then sprinkle chocolate chips.
3. Continue until you get the desired size of dessert!
This makes 4-6 servings using small ramekins.
Another great option: Place the mouse in the freezer and serve as ice cream!
-Are you (or did you) celebrate St Patricks Day?
-What’s your favorite “green” food?
I leave you with this: ““Dad…. PLEEEEAAASSSEEE open the door!”