We’ve made it to Friday! Hopefully you’ve got some fun plans for the weekend? In just a bit I’ll be heading to Savannah, GA!
It’s for a mother/daughter trip to simply relax, drink some wine and enjoy the fall weather.
We’re staying at a bed and breakfast, which for a vegan can be quite terrifying. Even before I was vegan I was always on the edge about B & Bs because most of the time the food isn’t exactly health friendly.
You can’t really turn it down since it’s half of what you’re paying for. But over the past years plates of bacon, quiches, casseroles, and pancakes have been handed to me.
Well, I have no intentions of eating those sorts of foods now a days, so I got the bright idea to call up the hotel and ask if it would be possible to get vegan entrees. And guess what, they had no problem with it! And they really appreciated the heads up warning so they could let the chef know.
Lol, I just noticed that my mom is taking me to Savannah’s #1 Romantic B&B… Cracks me up!
I feel loads better! I couldn’t imagine trying to stomach something heavy when I haven’t had eggs/bacon/cheese in over 9 months. Thank goodness for good service and hospitality! Now I am more excited than ever to see what the chef can come up with.
Just goes back to the old saying, “ask and you shall receive.”
Which brings me right into today’s recipe. Several of you have asked for my vegan apple walnut cookie recipe and today is the day!
Check out those chunks of apple and the cinnamon glaze! Pretty sure Dan and I fought over the last one (or two)
Seriously these are amazing. A bit of a crunch on the outside, but soft on the inside. The flavors of fall and winter are packaged perfectly and the glaze, omg the glaze! It was love at first bite.
I tested them on my family and even they loved them (they’re a hard group to please with healthy desserts).
Vegan Apple Walnut Raisin Cookies
- 1 1/4 cup oat flour (just ground up oatmeal)
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp allspice
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tsp coconut oil
- 1/2 cup + 2 tsp all natural apple sauce
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1 flax egg (1 tbsp flax meal + 3 tbsp water)*
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 small apple diced (or 1/2 med-large apple)
- 1 1/4 cup oats
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 350-degrees
- In a mixing bowl combine: flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, nutmeg, allspice, cinnamon and set aside.
- In a second bowl combine oil, apple sauce, sugar, flax egg, vanilla.
- Pour the liquid into the dry mix and mix together. Next, add in oats, apples and walnuts and fold together.
- On a nonstick cookie sheet, drop 1 tbsp mounds of the batter. Slightly flatten with a fork/spoon.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes until slightly golden.
- Allow to cool completely before drizzling with cinnamon glaze.
- 2 tbsp coconut butter (or normal butter)
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 tsp water (if needed)
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
Blend the butter, sugar and cinnamon together until it’s a glaze. If it begins to harden before use, add a few drops of water.
What I love most about these is that you can warm them up and add one to your breakfast since they aren’t overly sweet or you can have it after dinner with a dollop of vanilla ice cream! I personally enjoyed mine with a cup of Trader Joe’s pumpkin spice rooibos tea!
- What’s your favorite cookie?
- Do you prefer B&Bs or hotels?
Go Matcha Go Giveaway Results
The Matcha giveaway winners have been contacted by email! Congratulations. Remember, Go Matcha Go is still giving everyone 25% off all orders! So make sure to check them out!
To determine the winners, Random.org number picker was used.