When I got home yesterday from the Color Me Rad Mess My Dress ordeal, I was high on energy. I knew I couldn’t just sit at the computer all day and actually accomplish anything, so I finished editing all the images. Then, I let my computer take a nap and I headed into the kitchen for some experimenting.
Earth Fare was giving away 2 free pineapples last week through their emails (sign up!) so I used one of the two for my inspiration.
The other will be cut up and frozen for smoothies! Pina colada shake… don’t mind if I do!
I was lucky that all 3 of my pineapple dishes turned out surprisingly well, but this one stole the show:
The flavor given by the coconut flour mixed with the fresh pineapple was out of this world! But because there is very little added sugar (thanks to great pineapple), this would be great served at breakfast too.
Vegan Pineapple Upside Down Cake
1 Cup Coconut Flour
1.5 Cups Oatmeal
1/4 Tsp Baking Powder
1/2 Tsp Vanilla
1/4 Cup Honey (or use stevia if you don’t eat honey)
1 Cup Water
1/4 Cup Diced/Shredded Pineapple
Slices of Pineapple
Coconut oil (for pan greasing)
1. Preheat oven to 350-degrees
2. In a bowl combine everything except the large pineapple slices and oil and mix well. Depending on the coconut flour brand you use, if it still appears very dry add an extra tbsp of water until it becomes a moist batter.
3. Lightly grease a cake pan with the coconut oil, this is key to make sure it pops out easily.
4. Place the coconut slices at the bottom of the pan, evenly spread out. Pour batter over the tip and spread to even it out.
5. Bake for 20-25 minutes until edges appear slightly golden.
6. Allow it to cool completely, use a knife to “loose” the edges/corners and quickly flip it over onto a flat surface.
7. Drizzle with some warm honey or frozen yogurt and enjoy!
I am thinking about making this for Easter next weekend. Pineapple screams spring and summer so I think it will be a nice change to the normal coconut cake I usually bake up.
Happy Birthday Zoe!
I can’t believe it… Zoe is 9 years old today! It’s hard to believe that that little girl has been in my life for so long! She was with me before Dan and I couldn’t imagine not having her.
Yes, she is stubborn, has way too many accidents on my floor, but she is the sweetest dog you’ll ever meet. Here are a few of my favorite picts of her over the years:
Happy Birthday Zoe!
I did mention that I made two other things aside from the upside down cake:
Pineapple coconut risotto (with curry)
Pineapple upside down pancakes (wow!)
- Do you like pineapple?
- Do you know your pet’s birthday?